Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Coming up next....................

It is just 3 days until we (Kindra and Rhonda) leave at 5:00 am this Saturday to begin our adventure to New Orleans. We will be serving with a mission team from Wheaton Bible Church to help with rebuilding from the disaster of Hurricane Katrina.

Just a few days ago I watched an episode on the Discovery Channel of “Dirtiest Jobs”. The man on the show was in New Orleans doing (of all things) dirty jobs. At one place they were trying to control the tremendous mosquito population to prevent West Niles Virus, another job was trying to rid the area of the rat population. Then there was the cleaning up of houses that still have furniture & clothing in them, mold everywhere and water sitting in the washing machines with nearly 2 year old molded clothes.

This was a little concerning to me. I truly want to serve, but this is definitely out of my comfort zone. Immediately I was nudged by God with this thought, “You will only be there one week. These people have been dealing with this a lot longer.” (Katrina hit August 29, 2005) My heart ached as I turned off the TV and went to bed in my king size bed in my mold free house with clean clothes in my washer and in my closet, clean food in my fridge and all my family was at home safe and sound.

Please pray for our attitude to be full of compassion and for us, as a team, to see past the dirty jobs to the heart of the hurting people that have been misplaced and in limbo for so long. Please pray we can leave New Orleans a better place than it was when we arrived.

We will look forward to seeing God work and sharing answered prayer and victories when we return.

Thank you for praying for us. Rhonda